RE: Electronic Distributor Mar 2002 18:51:00 -0800

To: jleclainche@cox.net (J. Le Clainche)
Subject: RE: Electronic Distributor Mar 2002 18:51:00 -0800
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 07:35:34 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Well jc-

I didn't mention Aldon because I haven't
tried their PerTronix equipped unit they
"tailored" for my Judson blown 1293 just
yet. Just about to break in the new motor
normally aspirated on the stock Lucas
unit (also PerTronix equipped).

One thing I will say; Aldon is great to deal
with. They "messed up" on the original
curve and while this should have been
caught before shipping, who among us
has not make errors, best of intentions
notwithstanding?

When notified, they paid for shipping both ways and "fixed" the problem
in a jiffy.  I don't doubt for an instant their product matches their
integrity and customer
service but basically we are talking the
aftermarket PerTronix.

As I understand it, the Lucas ignitor is
basically the same unit (Hall effect device?) and I would assume just as
effective and as reliable as the later
PerTronix (they had reliability problems
with "early" units), Lucas "Prince of
Darkness" rep. notwithstanding! :)

Here again, you have to do a careful
installation and match coils, etc. in
accordance with mfg's. instructions.

My first PerTronix installation suffered
from a chafed wire within the distributor
and quit in about a week. Once we got
by this installation problem, it's replacement has run satisfactorily
for nearly two years now.

Incidentally, a set of Nology hot wires
produced no improvement whatsoever
when added to my PerTronix set-up and
an ocilloscope proved the Nology's were
working as advertised. So, the PerTronix
is obviously putting out as advertised, also.

Cap'n. Bob
    '61 :{)