RE: Electrolitic rust removal

To: <Tommy_Samuels@markivauto.com>, "Mueller, Robert CDR" <RMueller@grumobile.uscg.mil>
Subject: RE: Electrolitic rust removal
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:54:29 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Hey All,

I have had A LOT of questions concerning Electro cleaning, I will try to
address each one privately, be patient.

Generally, I use a power supply from a camper and always have 3 or 4 tubs
"cooking".  I've also used a standard car battery charger as a power source.

I have 2 - 5 gal plastic pails for small parts and 2 plastic garbage cans.
I use stainless steel bars (because I have them) for the anode whenever
possible, but rebar works great.  Any steel bar or pipe will work (don't use
galvanized).  (Child's swimming pool for fenders and bonnets works great!)

The anode will degrade quickly and become covered with residue....clean it
off with a wire brush before putting in your next part to be cleaned.

After cleaning I wire brush the parts under running water and use Brillo.
The soap in the Brillo contains phosphates which will protect the metal from
rerusting for a couple of days until you get them painted.

Sometimes I put the cleaned parts in the oven to dry them completely before
painting.

Always remember that NEG goes to the part you are cleaning or you will
desolve your part (right Frank??).

I've been cleaning parts this way for several years and the method has never
failed.  I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Kevin V.