RE: Spacers & Long Studs

To: <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spacers & Long Studs
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 07:32:23 -0800
Jim,

To answer your questions...

1.  "Is there a best length for the the studs? I'm just as concerned about
getting them too long as I am getting too short."

I am running a SCCA race car with very long studs- I have to, as rules
mandate the studs must protrude through the wheel nut... I personally don't
like the way that looks, but it's safer  than having the stud too short!

2.  "I am planning on 7/16" diameter studs. Are 1/2" studs necessary or
feasible?"

My VARA racing Sprite has 7/16" studs... if it's good enough for racing, you
certainly don't need beefier studs for the street.

3.  "Spacers - do I need to buy a kit (such as MiniMania) ? or can I make my
own with basic tools? Is there a best design? i.e. donut-shape spacer or
individual spacers (1 per stud)?"

The last person I talked to about fitting spacers to the rear of my Bugeye
was Fred Puhn, who wrote the book "How to make your car handle" (HP books).
His advice: Don't do it! I didn't. I have wheels that fit without spacers.

"Also someone recently mentioned they are running 205/60x13 tires on their
Bugeye.  This seems a bit extreme for me (street-only) but I would be
interested in hearing about or even seeing your setup."

I have been told by experienced bugeye racers that 185/60 x 13 is the best
combination for handling and speed. On 5" rims, they JUST fit on my racer
with no spacers or body modifications.  With a car as light as the bugeye, I
cannot see why you would need more rubber.... unless it is for looks. My
SCCA car has 205/60 x 13, but that car weighs 2,500 pounds, a thousand over
the weight of the bugeye.

Hope this helps... I would like to hear the opinion of more experienced
Spridgeteers on the matter!

Jacques Le Clainche