Re: Pleased with myself! of Sun, 31 Mar 2002 15:24:14 +0100

To: guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk (Guy Weller)
Subject: Re: Pleased with myself! of Sun, 31 Mar 2002 15:24:14 +0100
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 10:03:43 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
<<<Now what can I do? It's raining!!>>>>>

There is no justice in this world, is there
Guy? (LOL, my friend!! Even Phred is
laughing...oh, he's asleep, again! Boy,
that was a quick! Guess it's a
question of "cat priorities".)

This is interesting, though, for exhaust
flow is primarily "out" on the "4th cycle"
(suck, squeeze, bang, blow).

Normally (as you are well aware of) valve
seals are not used on exhaust valves in
these engines, the intent being the cooling
effect of any oil that might soak down between valve stem and guide;
this was
intended by the mfgr. to be a "good" thing
considering exhaust valves get hot!

This would SEEM to indicate a little "too
much" clearance on exhaust valve stem
to guide but, the valve seals have resolved the symptom of this
possiblility
and since you are not racing the car (constantly exposed to high loads
and rpm's) or thrashing it constantly, I, for
one, can't see a problem here. Of course,
I am not a machinist, etc. and I look forward to comments from other
listers
who know more than I in these respects,
for there is always something to be learned.

I have run teflon valve seals (got 'em
on the inlets on my alum. head, matter
of fact - nothing on exhaust valves) on
both inlet and exhaust valves on my previous Vizard tuned street
screamer
11.0-1 1311. At 80,000 miles, the engine
"swallowed" one of the exhaust valves
(stem broke). But, we do not KNOW
"valve seal on the exhaust valve" (possibly
cutting down lubrication to this area) was
the culprit in this.

I think not or the engine certainly wouldn't
have made 80,000 miles of the mostly high rpm use this particular engine
was
exposed to in commuting between my home in Stamford and LaGuardia/
Kennedy, NY domiciles.

Congrats at ending needless atmospheric
pollution by Spridget in your neighborhood
and surrounding area!! Good show, mate!

My sympathies as well in the passing of
of the Queen Mum. Boy, 101 years, Wow!
And, interesting years they were, considering the World Wars, etc.
Awsome! God bless her soul.

Cap'n. Bob
    '60 :{)