Re: fender beading

To: Bill Mantz <bmantz@roanoke.infi.net>
Subject: Re: fender beading
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 20:53:08 -0600
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Bill Mantz wrote:

> What is the procedure for replacing the fender beading on the bonnet of a 59
> Sprite. The top section of the beading was rusted where it meets the section
> for holding the beading in place, so it came off easy, of course. How do you
> remove the rest of the beading.

You need about a case of Bud and several 1/16" discs for your Dremel tool or
other suitable air powered die grinder.  Carefully grind away all the old stuff
from the beading down into the "crack".  The beading is actually T shaped and
goes down between the pieces and all of the flanges are spot welded as one.  To
fake it when you rebuild, you have to cut about 1/2" off of the new flange and
stuff it down into previously mentioned crack.  You can glue it in w/ some sort
of epoxy after you've seen to rust killer.  Keep in mind that if you test fit
the
new beading it might not want to come back out w/out bending.

TVOE

> Do you have to seperate the fender from the center section and reweld it?

Go get yourself about 14 cases of Bud........................

I wouldn't do this unless there is no other way to get it done.  It is a
nightmare.

TVOE.

--
Larry Dickstein