Re: How to test tachometer

To: Jan Bos <jan@janbos.com>
Subject: Re: How to test tachometer
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:13:04 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Jan Bos wrote:

> The tachometer of our Midget doesn't move it's needle.
> Is there a way to test the tachometer,

First make sure it has power and a good ground.
The green wire is power when the key is on, clean or better yet, run a
new ground to the tach.
Next check the white wire, this is the pulse loop. the white wire comes
from the ignition switch, makes a loop around a "U" terminal screwed to
the back of the tach and from there goes to the ignition coil.
In your case (+ grd) the coil terminal should be marked either - or SW
(switch)
If all of the above are in order, it's time to open up the tach and hope
that mabe the needle is just stuck or some dirt or something is blocking
the balance wheel. If not, look for another tach.

good luck

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ