Re: Convertible Tops/Tonneau over

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Convertible Tops/Tonneau over
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:41:21 -0700
            Re: Convertable Tops/Tonneau cover
       Date:
            Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:50:49 -0700
      From:
            Mike MacLean <macleans@earthlink.net>
        To:
            David Riker <davriker@pacbell.net>
        CC:
            spridgets@autox.team.net

I recently installed a top and tonneau from Little British Car Company
on my
Bugeye and found them to be of top quality.  While I did not get the
zip-down
rear window, I did install them myself using the instructions that came
with the
top.  I know a Bugeye top is easier to install than a later Sprite or
Midget,
(just poke some holes and install the hardware) all I did was to put
some chalk
line type powder on the studs and gently touch the top/tonneau to them,
then
punch a hole with a hole punch.  They fit and look great.  Only problem
I have is
the edge near the driver's door keeps getting caught when I close the
door.  This
is where it is going to tear first.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite

David Riker wrote:

> Just some general info,
> I've been wanting a nice top with a zip out rear window for my 74
Midget.  I
> wound up ordering one from Little British Car Co., along with a full
Tonneau
> cover made out of the top of the line stuff (stayfast?) cloth.  While
I've
> installed several Amco tops uneventfully, and a Crown, they came
either
> premarked, or with snaps installed.  The fabric top wasn't marked, so
> wasn't going to risk it.  I hired a local upholstery shop where I've
had
> alot of work done.  The end result of the top is fantastic.  The
material is
> actually German, same as on Mercedes.  Can't figure out why a top made
in
> England uses German fabric, but it is nice just the same.  However,
the
> upholstery shop said it was a real nightmare to install (I kinda
figured it
> would be, that's why I paid him...).
> While I'm ecstatic about the top, the Toneau leaves something to be
desired.
> I've been using what I think was a OEM Toneau.  It had a zipper on
each side
> that ran behind each headrest pocket to within a foot of the center.
It