RE: need an automatic?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: need an automatic?
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 08:08:20 +1000 m >
Check "Spritely Years"

IIRC, John Sprinzel was reasonably complimentary about the MGC and
commented its reputation was undeserved.

There is one competing in the MG road racing series here as well
as running in various rallies.

It is probably like spridgets and 4 cylinder B's -- with some fairly
simply and inexpensive suspension tweaking they can be made to handle
pretty darn well (OK, the Spridgets are always the best handlers, but
a tweaked Spridget is still *much* better handling than a stock one.

I suspect that the C's reputation was acquired by a) a driver who
didn't think about the right way to drive it or b) a car with worn shocks!!

By driving style, I mean that with that much Iron up front, you don't even
think about throwing it into a corner and expect it to turn-in like
a spridget -- go in a little slower and accelerate out, using the torque of
the big 6 to give you better turn and higher exit speed.

I nearly bought a really really nice MGC as a daily driver, but the local
regulations have made it illegal to carry the kids in the back
and I didn't want to go through the required mods and engineer's report...

Mike