Re: [midgetsprite] Re: 63 Alpine Sunbeam

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: 63 Alpine Sunbeam
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:01:57 EDT
james@jamesbilsland.net writes:

> Agreed - the Alpine had the Rootes 1725cc inline 4 engine. The Tiger
> had the V8. Tiger was canned when Rootes was bought by Chrysler.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Well, let's get our facts straight.  The '63 Sunbeam Alpine was the Series
III and it had a 1592cc engine.  There were only 5863 Series III Alpines
made, so it is one of the more desirable models.  (Over 19,000 of the earlier
Series II.)  Series IV also had the 1592, and later the Series V went to the
1725.  You can tell a real Series III Alpine because they will have the
slanty tail lights and vent windows on the doors.  Series II had no vent
windows and Series IV had vertical taillights.

My first car was a '63 Series III Alpine.  It was a real pig, unless you were
going downhill, but I loved how it looked and the nifty way the hood was
hidden in the sheet metal when you put it down.  The numbers I quoted came
from www.sunbeamalpine.org.

If all the parts are there, it is probably worth $1000.  Totally restored,
they can bring over $10,000.  (And I traded mine for a Triumph!)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"