Re: more looseness

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: more looseness
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 20:33:02 -0700
Jeff:

Sounds more like you might have excessive wear in the _inner_ tie rod. If
you want to check this, you'll have to drain the lubricant out of the
steering rack, and slide the rubber boot outwards to expose the inner tie
rod joint.

You can continue to drive the car with play in the tie rods, as well as in
other components of the steering assembly. The downside is the loss of
crispness that is such a part of these cars, and if it gets bad enough, it
becomes unsafe. Having just finished completely rebuilding my car's front
suspension and steering, I can attest to the joy of driving with everything
tight and new.

Doug Ingram
Victoria BC
1958 Sprite  (AN5L/636)