Re: Speedo Drive

To: Mike MacLean <macleans@earthlink.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speedo Drive
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 10:17:06 -0700
Mike,

I don't think those gears often go bad. Some eeasy things to check:

With the cable in the speedo, twirl the cable by hand to see if the speedo
responds. I won't take much to tell, but you can also use an electric drill
if you want, but go slow and make sure you have the cable all the way into
the speedo.

Withdraw the gear from the gearbox to inspect it. Check you manual so you
can see what the two pieces look like. Make sure you align the pinion
correctly when reinstalling it. You need to hit the hole for the shaft
accurately.

Check the receiver for the cable on both ends (speedo and drive gear) to
see if they are damaged or distorted.

Does your odometer work? It is possible for the needle to quit but the
odometer to work.

If these things pan out and the it still doesn't work, the drive gear on
the 3rd motion shaft might have come loose and is just spinning on the
shaft. I jave seen this before.

Gerard