Re: Double Hub Bearing Removal

To: "Jackson Zimmermann" <JZIMMERM@albemarle.org>
Subject: Re: Double Hub Bearing Removal
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:00:26 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
This works whether you're using stock or competition axles.

We suggest the following.

Speedi/Redi sleeve on the housing stub

No gaskets or O rings, (we just use a light coat of an RTV sealant)

There are 2 different seals available... a single lip and a dual lip. For
some reason, the singles seems to be a far better fit, so use the single.

We replace the outer bearing with a sealed bearing.
 I got a cross reference form the original bearing part number and came up
with the sealed bearing. Also, while you're at the bearing house, have them
measure the difference between the single and double lip seal. Again, I
recommend the single lip

Then, the inner bearing is packed in synthetic grease.

The original design had the gear oil in the pumpkin sloshing down the axles
tubes. It would hit the axle cap and slosh on the bearing. In the double
bearing setup, it has to pass thru that bearing and then reach the inner.
The sealed bearing/greased inner prevents any oil from getting back to the
backing plate and then on to the brakes (which is the usual place they leak.

WST