re: Lug nuts (way long)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Lug nuts (way long)
Date: Sun, 19 May 02 13:31:00 EDT
  The Monza (Spyder?) was eventually available with a small
(less than 300cid) V8.  IMSA allowed them in an "All American GT"
class and they pretty much cleaned up for a while. :-)
  Pontiac Astre (Vega knockoff) ended up with a 2.5 litre version
of the -early- Nova 4-cyl called the "Iron Duke".  I believe this
was the engine Steve was referring to as the 4-cyl that could be
built up with v8 parts because it was originally designed as half
of a small-block v8.  (Still a pushrod engine.)
  The actual Vega 4-cyl was a new design using an aluminum block
with an iron head WITHOUT iron cylinder liners, similar to what
Porsche was doing at the time.  Problem was that while Porsche
compensated for the lack of iron cylinder liners with specially
treated cylinder bores (I forgot the treatment..), Chevy unfortu-
nately cheaped out and did not.  The Vega cylinders ended up being
VERY susceptible to wear, scratches and overheating.  It ended up
being a race between the engine and the body (rust) as to which
would kill a nice looking car fastest. :-(
  Interestingly, the Pinto was actually the better car (IMHO), but
was not nearly as stylish (Vega looked a LOT like a baby Camaro)
so was not as popular with the younger buyers.  The original Pinto
1600cc engine was straight out of the British Ford Cortina (way
underpowered for something as heavy as the Pinto).  The 2000 was
an excellent German ohc design.  The 2300 was a US design copied
from the German 2000.  (Actually I'm not sure if the 2000 was
-designed- in Germany, may be British, but the engines we got were
imported from Germany.)  The (really sweet shifting) Pinto 4-spd
transmissions were, I'm pretty sure, a British design.  Possibly
by the same person/team who did the Ford 5-spds used in British
Spridget conversions.  Nicer shifting than the Datsun units we use
in the US. ;-)
  Whoof...
  The Cosworth Vega used a Cosworth twin-cam head with fuel injection
on the Vega aluminum block.  It was tuned kinda slow.  I 'understand'
that a pair of Weber carbs, headers and good cams would -really- wake
it up.  I do not know if there were any chassis upgrades over the
Vega GT, but tend to think there were slightly stiffer suspension
specs; nothing major.  Car&Driver (or Rallye?) magazine bought one as
a project car to turn into a Pro-Rallye car but it disappeared quickly
and I have no idea how it did.
  Vega wheels will fit Spridgets, with a few caveats.
  Square arches are too narrow for them without -at least- rolling the
fender lips (and adding a panhard rod?).
  Some people have problems with the center hole being very slightly
too small for Spridget front hubs (I had no trouble but I had spacers).
  Thin (1/8-1/4") spacers may be required in front to prevent inter-
ference with a bolt somewhere (tie-rod?).  I did use spacers, plus
the previous owner had partially ground the bolts down (I still don't
remember which bolts).
  Vega lugnuts will -not- fit Spridgets unless you've changed over to
the 7/16" studs.  Stock Spridget lugnuts can be used IF the wheels'
lug holes are in very good (not wallowed out) condition.  If the holes
are too worn the small Spridget lugnuts will botom on the hub before
tightening against the wheels.  This leaves the wheel slightly loose
even though the lugnuts are tight.  You can buy special lugnuts with
the standard American outer dimensions and the Spridget 3/8" bolt
thread but they're hard to find (I don't currently know a source. Peter?)
  Anybody interested in trying some Vega GT wheels (13x6"), I have several
spares located in Raleigh NC that you're welcome to come pick up. (Would
cost way more than they're worth to ship.)
  My fingers are tired...
   Ed in NC :-)
  I have seen at least two very nicely restored Vega GTs in Raleigh in
the last year.  :-)