RE: was Lug nuts, now Ford engine/transmission- no LBC

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: was Lug nuts, now Ford engine/transmission- no LBC
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 11:54:57 -0700
Ed wrote:    "The 2000 was an excellent German ohc design.  The 2300 was a
US design copied
from the German 2000.  (Actually I'm not sure if the 2000 was
-designed- in Germany, may be British, but the engines we got were
imported from Germany.)"

The Ford 2000 engine used in the Cortina GT 2 liter and Ford Escort RS 2000
was an English design and an excellent single overhead engine, reliable and
very easy to tune- I owned a 1974 Ford RS 2000 Mk l (last year of
production) fitted with one of those. Mk 1 RS 2000 were made in England, but
all Mkll RS 2000 were made in Germany. Horsepower in standard form was 110
bhp.

 Ed also wrote: "The (really sweet shifting) Pinto 4-spd
transmissions were, I'm pretty sure, a British design."

I believe it was the same four-speed gearbox as fitted to countless Ford
Escort Mk ls in England- and to this day, this was the slickest manual
transmission I ever experienced in a car. I had three British Ford Escorts
(one GT, two RS) fitted with this transmission in the 70's.

By the way... Thanks for a very informative "lug nuts" post, Ed!

Jacques le Clainche, ex-chairman Ford RS Owners Club, Great Britain.