Can a worn ring gear be reversed?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Can a worn ring gear be reversed?
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 17:04:19 -0500
List Lurker here,

I've decided to rebuild my 1275 from my '70 Midget parts car and have a
fairly worn ring gear on the old flywheel.  Heck, it's only worn on one
side, so the question is, can it be pulled off and reversed?  I'm
familiar with the heat/cold method of installing a new ring gear, but
didn't know if there was a non-destructive way of removing the old gear
to flip it and reinstall it good side out.  Having not rebuilt a 1275
before, maybe the problem is that the gear teeth are tapered on the
starter side and my ring gear is so worn I can't tell that.  OR, is the
removal/installation process something that's a onetime event - sort of
like 4th of July fireworks.

Tim Creger
Still lookin' for a decent Midget to buy.