Re: [midgetsprite] rollbars and rollovers

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] rollbars and rollovers
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:15:35 EDT
In a message dated 5/23/02 7:00:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
stevenM@optonline.net writes:

> What does it take to get one to roll over?  I mean, how sharp CAN I take
> that turn?  On dry pavement, will it tend to fishtail first?
>
> - How can I know if the rollbar I buy is a "real" one, or a decoration?
>
> - Is there any mod I can do short of a rollbar to help lessen the chance of
> a rollover?
>
> No fun to think about, but that windshield doesn't look like it would do
> the
> job!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

It isn't that easy to roll a Midget on dry (or wet) pavement.  What I have
seen happen (at autocrosses, which entail tight corners in a parking lot) is
a possibility of having low tire pressure, going into a hard corner, and the
tire rolls over.  When that happens, the wheel grabs the pavement and the car
can easily roll.

The same thing can happen if you corner and hit a pothole that you didn't
see.  We check the parking lots we use for autocrosses and design the course
around bad pavement, but we still have occasional rollovers.  Running off the
pavement and onto dirt or gravel will also increase the risk of rollover if
you have sideways momentum.

You are right, the windscreen isn't strong enough to protect you.  A proper
rollover bar must be (in racing terms) 2" above the top of your helmet when
you are belted in.  It should also include a diagonal arm.  If you draw a
straight line from the top of the rollover bar to the front of the bonnet,
your head should not be above the line when you are sitting in the driver's
seat.

Any race legal rollover bar will be too big to allow you to put the hood up,
so you may have to compromise.  Find a heavy steel tubing rollover bar that
is welded at the seams and has large plates for bolting and large plates that
bolt underneath as well, to distribute the stress.  I have a decent one in my
Midget, but it is NOT SCCA legal.  Hood fits over it fine.

BTW, you really shouldn't be driving fast enough to cause a rollover on the
street.  Save your fast driving for the track.  Look up your local SCCA
region (www.scca.org) and see what they have to offer locally.  You don't
have to be a member to try most of the events SCCA sanctions.  Give Solo II a
try...it's a HOOT!

Safety Fast!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward