Re: Parking brake stickage

To: "bill b." <w_burrell@yahoo.com>, spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>, midgetsprite group <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Parking brake stickage
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 15:54:42 -0700
Bill -

Remove the left hand seat.  Back the hand brake cable out of the yoke at
the axle so the cable end is free.  Remove the two bolts holding the lever
base to the tunnel.  You can now pull the whole assembly out far enough to
free the handle.  It probably was loose and was pulled ON past the end of
the ratchet.  If so, you will be able to re-engage the pawl (operated by
the rod in the handle) with the gear.  Them stuff it all back together in
reverse order.

On my '67, the handle shaft was frozen into the housing and both had to be
replaced.  More common is a stretched cable that will not pull far enough,
even at maximum adjustment.  You might have success with a new cable.  I
didn't.  I'm looking for shorter rods (from the yoke to the backing
plates).  One suggestion has been to use wire wheel rods; they are 11/16"
shorter.  They are also unavailable from the usual suspects.  I'm going to
try MOSS GB.  They are reputed to sell an adjustable length (fits all)
brake rod.  For $35 each, of course.

best of luck and regards,

Clay L.
'67 Sprite