Under the bonnet heat; I have to much

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Under the bonnet heat; I have to much
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 23:50:08 -0400
Now that it is getting warmer out I seem to have the following problem
with my MG.  When the tempeture is in the low 80's the car will run
rough, stumble on acceleration after I have sat at a light for about 1
minute or more.  I have the same problem if I turn the car off and
then restart it in the next 5-10 minutes.  The problem goes away once
I start to drive at speed for about 30 to 60 seconds.  I figure the
problem is excess heat under the bonnet.

The car is a 77 Midget with twin SU's.  There is a heat shield between
the SU's and the catalytic converter.  There are no plastic spacers
between the carbs and the intake manifold;  there is not enough room
to add a spacer.   The heat shield is a little bit bigger than the
area of the 2 carbs and was made from one of my wife's finest cookie
sheets.

First I think the problem is the carbs are getting to hot.  Does
anyone disagree?

The most obvious solution is to replace the exhaust manifold and
catalytic converter with a header.  It would make sense to have the
header coated by the likes of "jet-coat".  Then a layer of header tape
on top that should help even more.  Has anyone done this and did it
lower the under bonnet temps very much?  Were your feet any cooler?
Does the coating help keep the out of the engine compartment?  Anyone
have any other ideas?

--
Later,
 Bill "feet of fire" Gilroy               mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net