No LBC Mazda 2200

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: No LBC Mazda 2200
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 02:24:01 EDT
Hi. I'm Marc, a lurker for a few years on these lists. I'm now hoping to find
someone with knowledge of the workings of the Mazda B2200 engine.

I was given an '88 B2200 that smokes on cold start up, if the choke is set.
If I start it without touching the gas pedal and let it warm up it does not
smoke at all.

I took it to the local Ford/Mazda dealer and paid a hundred dollars for
diagnosis. Was told it needed an oxygen sensor, mix tune sensor, a timing
belt and cover, about a thousand dollar's worth.

I asked about the smoke and the mechanic finally cold started it, saw the
smoke and said it was an internal oiling problem. He advised me not to put
money into it. I had just done a compression test before taking it to the
dealer and got 155 on three cylinders and 150 on one.

I decided to take it on a trip of 6000 miles and it did fine. From western
Washington to Michigan, the first 2500 miles, it used a half quart of oil. It
had been using a quart per gas tank full before the trip. Also when I got it
back from the dealer it had a ticking from the top of the motor that got much
worse on the trip. It turned to a loud tapping when cold but would go away,
come back, go away.

Once home I had the head decked, valves ground, stem seals. I did the timing
belt and bearings and cover also.

When I first started it after doing this work to the head it did not smoke at
all. I put 30 miles of test runs o it then discovered it pissing oil all
over. I could not find the leak until I took off the new Penzoil oil filter
from Shucks and realized the gasket was a smaller diameter than sealing
surface on the block. Parts stores list tow small of filter for engine. I had
to take in the old Puralator filter to cross reference for proper fit.

So the leak got fixed but I started it up again and now it smokes much more
than before. By the way.....when the choke is on for cold start up the smoke
is a huge cloud lasting for several minutes covering the whole neighborhood!
I hope someone has been bored enough to read this far and have an idea that
may help. All I can think of is broken oil rings.

Thanks in advance and forever
Marc
67 chrome bumper B
79 Midget