RE: Mirror Mounts?

To: "James Kleemeyer" <jkk@adams.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mirror Mounts?
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 14:06:46 -0400
Jim,

It's VERY difficult to get behind where the mirror is mounted.  I couldn't
get in there without removing the window, (major PITA).

Suggestion;

Go to your local body shop, hardware store or Lowes Home Center and get 4
plastic push-in ancors.  If you get them at Lowes they are located in the
"Specialty Fasteners" isle - in the "Automotive Fasteners" drawer, (I bought
the round style). They push in the holes where the mirror mounts to the
door.  They stick above the door about the same distance as the old plastic
piece you took off.  Drill 2 holes in the old plastic piece(s) so it fits
over the new ancors and reattach to the door with new stainless steel
screws, (I got the screws a Lowes too).  I put a drop of red locktite on the
new plastic ancors so they would not turn in the door when puting the screws
in.  If the new plastic ancors stick above the old plastic "gasget" just
file them down a bit after you push them into the door (before you mount the
mirror bracket to the door).

Kevin V.