Trial-by-Fire: Meadowbrook

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "'not_a_vw_club@yahoogroups.com'" <not_a_vw_club@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Trial-by-Fire: Meadowbrook
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:56:42 -0700
I guess every new build needs sorting, eh?

Thanks to Rick Fisk (owner of the same bugeye Sprite since 1968) and to Bob
Lawrie, famous builder of the VW microbus with the sideways Golf motor AND
the 3-wheeled Honda ice racing car) for their help with crew chores last
weekend.

Friday got me all of three laps all day, and one of those was on three
cylinders.  Saturday wasn't much better....but a few fixings, tightenings,
R&R's (like the head and the water pump), and some junkyard rocker arms from
a Canadian wearing a stovepipe hat, and Sunday dawned a new day.  Completed
both races, taking it easy to let my rings seat (unlike Fridays 7,500 runs
up the hill in 2nd grear).   Even put a duct tape "silver line" on the tack
at 6,000 RPM so I'd be good.  Completed both races Sunday.  Had a fun dice
with a Mini Cooper (a good sign for a basically stock Midget), and kept all
four wheels if not ON the pavement, at least not more than 3 inches over the
pavement.  Nothing seemed to fall off and I got reintroduced to a track I
have not run in 3 or 4 years.  My partner in crime, Kevin Clemens, had quite
a bit less luck with his '64 Beech Formula V monoposto.  Shift linkage, carb
float, and heat conspired to pretty much condemn him to mechanic's duties.
But waddya expect, not only is the motor in the back, but it's facin' the
wrong friggin' way!

The Historics this year had about a half-dozen Midgets and Sprites in Group
1 and a number of FV's running in the formula car class.  The track had been
recently re-paved, complete with bumps, and the banquet food was actually
great!  And the weather....well it didn't rain.  But as they say everywhere
I've lived in the eastern USA, "It ain't the heat, it's the hoomidity."

Hope to see some of you at Grattan Raceway outside Grand Rapids Michigan on
the weekend of the 16th.  Contact me off-list if you want to crew.

--JohnD