I found IT! (clutch mystery)

To: "'team-thicko@autox.team.net'" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>, "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: I found IT! (clutch mystery)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 08:45:29 -0400
Ok dudes, and dudettes, we found the clutch problem.. the mystery being what
caused it!?

Bob Frato (2 sprites and a mini ) came over last night and helped me extract
Tinkerbells engine in little over 1 1/2 hrs with a beer break...  thanks Jen
for letting him come over to play.

aneeways, what we found is the pressure plate had literally broken in
halves. the thick-cast friction surface was full of stress cracks and had
split in 2. AND the donut that attaches to the spring fingers had been
running off center, and the center hole was actually ovaled from wear.
the clutch disc looked fine as did the throwoutt bearing.   the question is
why did this piece go bad?
bad pressure plate?  maybe,, but the clutch fork also seemed a bit more
wobbly than it should, i believe it was pushing the whole assembly off
center.. so we will replace the clutch fork bushing too. and replace the
pilot (crank) bushing as well even though it looks ok, but why not if I'm
this far.. of course we will replace the clutch disc and throwout as a
matter of course.
AND since ive heard so many good things,,, we are going to get denato's
aluminum flywheel..
best guess is it had something to do with the mis-centering of the throwout
against the press.plate, and it caused a misalignment as well as excessive
heat, and maybe some clutch slippage.  the pressure plate broke along a
couple opposing stress cracks and WHACKA..dead clutch..

hey denato..get one of those things off the shelf for me and send it today
ok?

R Kansa