Re: was size limits, now lights, again -0400

To: type79@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: was size limits, now lights, again -0400
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 21:50:20 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net (spridget list)
jf-

I remember when I was young, jumping
into stuff I did not understand ("I don't
need no steenking directions"!!)

This approach changed when I started
learning to fly airplanes. ("I BETTER learn
the steenking directions")

Thing is, mechanically inclined types like
Frank, Chuck C., etc. often come up with
"shortcuts" and "tips" on better ways to
do things through their experiences as
they work along, which in no way implies
anything wrong with the "book" procedure.
as a fundamental "starting point".

Fr'instance:
I can make crosswind landings in 50
knot x-winds (if necessary) which are
supposedly beyond the capability of my
airplane (and, it really is...really!)
using the normal book procedure which
is always the "approved method" for Mt.
Average Pilot (whoever the hell he/she
is!!). This not something purposely done
but, you never know when circumstances
beyond your control may arise!

My procedure is not out
of the book, but the fundamental procedure I started with IS. Then I
embelished the fundamental procedure with what I learned while doing the
fundamental procedure "on the job"
using my experience combined with knowledge gained from books
by "old timers" flying biplanes and
tailwheel twins way back when. Result-
any crosswind landing up to "book max"
is an absolute piece of cake! No problem!

Perhaps such a book should be prepared
and presented from this basis? As
"additional knowledge" by those mechanically inclined who with their own
hands, brains and tools, have "BTDT"
many, many times over.

Cap'n. Bob
    '60 :{)