Re: Alt vs Gen

To: "WFO Herb" <froggi60@hotmail.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alt vs Gen
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:06:01 -0400
I'm under the impression... and if my failing memory
still partially servers me well...
alternators use more mechanical drive power to
to produce the same VA rating than a generator.

An electronic voltage regulator switches/consumes
energy regardless of load. The switching ckt. design
passes energy to maintain a stable, lower ripple, supply
level. An older generator with mechanical relay controls,
only consumes the energy (load) applied  ( plus a small
amount of residual regulator relay holding current)

... or another way to say it....
The generator, with no electrical load attached,
will have a minimal mechanical energy requirement
to make it rotate. Mechanical drive energy needed
increases with electrical load.

An alternator uses more and more mechanical drive
energy as revs increase, even if the load remains
constant.

If I have any of that bas-aackwarks...I'm sure others will
pipe in. But for simplicity of your very 'open' question

The generator...to answer your question.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com