Re: Timing and Temperature

To: David Riker <davriker@pacbell.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Timing and Temperature
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:00:05 -0400
Finally, a straight answer. Thank you David.

My thermostat is a 180, and the fan is set to come on at 185. That is 185 at
the top of the radiator. It comes on if the gauge goes a little to the right
of the N so I would guess that it is about right. Since I leaned the mixture
and set the idle it does not seem to be getting so hot. I suspect a lot of
it was from the way low idle speed, not enough water circulation.

Frank told me that the gauge has a dot for 212. Well looking at the gauge
there are 5 dots. 2 over just below the "C" area, one right next to the "N"
and one just on either side of the white area near the "H". One of those is
likely the dot at 212. So at this point I guess I am OK. Still have to do a
full tune-up though and see how that fares.

Larry

On 8/13/02 12:55 AM, "David Riker" <davriker@pacbell.net> made the profound
revelation:

> The early and later mechanical gauges are calibrated identically, except the
> later gauges have N for normal instead of degree increments. Here are the
> corresponding temps from a gauge that reads in degrees:  At cold, the needle
> begins reading from 90 degrees  When the needle is perpendicular and
> pointing at the N directly, the car is 185 degrees.  The beginning of the
> solid white "H" area of the gauge the temp is 212.  When the needle is
> pegged, it is 230 or above. All fareinheight, of course.
> David Riker
> 63 Falcon
> 70 Torino
> 74 Midget
> http://home.pacbell.net/davriker/

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 1015 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

 "Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions, they are a lot easier to
 handle than dumb mistakes.