Fw: In search of... Parts

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: In search of... Parts
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 02:13:17 -0400
I recently traveled to PA to pick up a fiberglass bonnet that I purchased
off of eBay. It is a MiniMania bugeye bonnet... Doesn't weigh a whole lot
and has some really thin spots in it. I know a little about fiberglass from
15 years of boating and a couple of Corvettes. It will suit my needs as I
have to bob the front fenders at the bottom to clear the tires that I have
on my car. I didn't want to butcher the steel bonnet that I have because it
is so nice. But, I would not recommend this brand either!!! I pretty much
figured on having to do a lot of work on it to get it presentable for my car
before I even saw it and I was not surprised at what it will take to make it
nice... It is actually new in that it has never beeen mounted on a car.

It does not have any mounting brackets or reinforcements built into it.
Therefore, it is not a direct replacement. I plan to glass in some
stiffeners and forward hinge mounts. You might inquire about these kinds of
items before you commit to a purchase unless you can see it first.

HTH,
Kent
1960 Bugeye
1978 Midget

Tom Stone wrote:

If any one knows where to get an excellent fiberglass hood, that would be
very helpful.  I would only use a fiber hood as a last resort.