Re: Replacing the pinion gear in the steering rack

To: James Gruber <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>, Spridgets<spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing the pinion gear in the steering rack
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 07:39:34 -0400
Okay, before you're awash in a chorus of people
screaming "Nooooooooooo!" let me say this calmly:

Don't use a Nylock nut in anything safety-critical.  They're only
minimally vibration resistant.  Better to:
 - double-nut the bolt
 - use Loctite or some other threadlocker
 - use a truly vibration-resistant nut (look at the nuts on an
   original rear axle u-bolt).

Any of the above would be better than a Nylock.

Chris K.