Hitachi Dizzy Mod

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hitachi Dizzy Mod
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:43:48 -0400
A couple weeks ago, someone posted this link for a Jap dizzy in an A
series car.
 http://members.tripod.com/~mini_digest/dizzy.htm
So while returning from 1/2 a day of work and happened past the bone
yard, I stopped. I learned that this dizzy is harder to find then a
Datsun 5 speed. In fact I found 2 MGBs and a Spitfire but no Hitachi
dizzys. 2nd junkyard, again no luck. 3rd time was a charm. But after
searching many sushi sleds.
So with dizzy in hand and instructions from this link, I did the
conversion. It works! I did not drive the car just yet because I am also
doing a radiator update too and the rad I picked up at the bone yard is
a bit too big. So no radiator in car just yet.
The car runs fine with the dizzy, I don't think I will keep it though
because it just looks funny. It looks like the Mallory dual point, too
big. Just a word of caution when grinding the jap ear off to fit the
Lucas dizzy clamp. Jap metal grinds at twice the speed of Brit metal.
I took too much off the shaft and had to really smash the clamp to make
it work. And instead of moving the dizzy drive down in the block, just
put the plug wires on in their relative locations on the cap.
total time spent on this mod was about 2 hours not counting 3 hours of
junkyard hunting.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ