Re: New radiator, need fan help

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New radiator, need fan help
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:47:06 -0700
Frank,

I recently installed a fan thermostat in a car. I bought an off the rack
thermostat, I believe the brand is Imperial (same as the fan). It's a
generic part from a local auto parts mass mechandiser. The temp bulb
attached to the engine side of the radiator with a supplied strap and the
sensor is adjustable for cutoff. I was skeptical about how well it would
work as a surface mount, but it worked great. I think it was only about
$18. Peter also carries one that fits in the cylinder head fitting.

Now I have a question for you. I have just redone the hydraulics in a
Midget that sat for several years. I got a good bleed on the slave cylinder
and the pedal feels normal for action but I can't get the car in gear with
the engine running. I suspect the clutch plate is stuck. What is the best
(easiest) way to free it qithout pulling the engine? I've heard the trick
of dropping the car on the rear wheels while having it in gear, but that
sounds a little risky. Any other suggestions or advice on doing that which
is not obvious?

Thanks

Gerard

At 8:16 PM -0400 8/28/02, Frank Clarici wrote:
>I found the perfect replacement radiator for my sprite.
>It is out of a Geo Metro, it is just about the same size as what was
>original and fits in with minor mounting modifications.
>it also has an electric fan.
>
>So what do I need to make it come on and off all by itself?
>some sort of thermosat comtrolled switch I assume, but what and where,
>and how do I do this?
>
>Right now it's wired to a toggle switch on the dash.
>this rad cools the Speedwell nosed Sprite very nicely.
>I heated it up to 212* and flipped on the fan and watched as it colled
>it down to 175* with the engine reving at 5000 rpms.
>Worked the same at an idle, and if the fan is always on, it never goes
>above 165*. I have a 160 stat in it.
>This rad even uses the original hoses but I had to use a later Spridget
>t/stat cover, the one that points left.
>
>--
>Frank Clarici
>Toms River, NJ
>http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut

Search for Low Airfares, Great Hotel Deals,
Car Rental Discounts and Vacations and Cruises
http://partner.onetravel.com/go/go.cfm?GoID=32421

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com