New Update: shimming oilpressure relief springs

To: Miget sprit group at Yahoo <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: New Update: shimming oilpressure relief springs
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:09:14 -0700 (PDT)
OK,  I added two more washers under the spring (total of 4, @1mm each), this
should make uncompressed length at 74.0? mm.  No real changes.  I drove around
this time to get a real idea of load situations.  Hot idle not registering on
the cheap gague.  If I rev up to 2500 I get 25psi reading.  Driving at 2500 to
3000 reads about 30psi, at 4000 to 5000 reading is about 40.  I will hook up
the Smiths clock again tomorrow.  Then wait for the new spring to come in, and
Bobbie will sit in the garage till then.  I have a feeling it is the oil pump.
What a bummer.   I figire I need Frank for a 20 min motor pull and pump
replacement.  I think it would take me forever as I would end up wanting to
detail the engine compartment, and rebuild the tranny.
 Red Midget wrote:I pulled the spring and cup from the motor, spring measured
70mm, I added 2, 1mm washers and replaced. Cup looked OK, felt no burrs. Cold
start up was 75 at fast idle. After warm up I had 25psi at 2500rpm, 50psi at
4000 to 5000rpm. This was after bleeding air from line to OP gague (Korean
cheepo). With motor hot, Idle (950rpm) just over needle rest (maybe 10psi),
25psi at 2500, gague read just below 50psi at 4000. I may try 2 more washers
later today, and have a new spring and ball valve on order. It would be so nice
to have the funds to put in a new motor and 5sp. Hey David C.! Ya still got
that rebuilt 1275 on the stand?

Lon/ RedMidget