Re: Oil Cooler Hose Connections

To: JARplanner@aol.com
Subject: Re: Oil Cooler Hose Connections
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 19:30:42 -0700
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Jim,

Daniels right.  There is a substantial drop in oil pressure,--- to the engine!
The reading you see on the oil pressure guage is before the restrictive 3/8"
hose,

not where it's being fed to the crankshaft and journals!!!!

Put in a 1/2" hose and the reading on the guage would likely remain the same,
but
there is a great deal more oil arriving at the crankshaft.  Do the math and you
see that the 1/2" hose has almost 2 times the oil carrying capacity of the 3/8"
hose.  That small hose puts new meaning to "we tight"!!!!

Doesn't sound like a smart move to me.

r squared X pie = surface area.  (If I remember my math right!)

3/8" hose = .11044 square inch
1/2" hose = .19635 square inch

There is no mention of the inside diameter of the fittings used.  They might be
as

small as 1/4".

Does this sound like oil starvation?

"But the oil pressure was so good when it spun the bearings and I wasn't even
going fast!!!!!"

Paul A