Timing chain/belt

To: "Spridgets-Autox.team" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing chain/belt
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:18:41 -0400
Sorry to be bombarding the list with so many LBC related things lately ;-)

As I understand it there are two main advantages to a belt versus chain.
1.    It holds its timing better
2.    It's quieter

My biggest question relates to No 1. I've gotten the impression that people
are suggesting that a worn timing chain set will give you erratic timing, and
I am questioning that. It seems that there would always be enough tension on
the chain so that while the timing would shift as the chain stretched and the
sprockets wore, it would be consistent. The people that sell belt drives claim
that the chains stretch and lose their accuracy very quickly. So my question
is, if it merely shifts, why not just compensate for it by initially setting
it in the opposite direction (I can't rationalize out which way it would shift
in my head). If that makes sense, how much would be a good amount to
compensate for, and which way does it go?

Or is it erratic, as in changing from, say minus 2 degrees to plus 4 degrees
and back to minus 1 degree in any given minute of operation?

I can't justify $300 just to quiet my engine, but if it provides a tangible
performance advantage I'll consider it.

TIA,

<dnw>

'72 Midget - engine in pieces