watkins glen was great and more!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "vintage-race" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>, "vsaab" <list@vsaab.com>, <vsaab@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: watkins glen was great and more!
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 08:26:39 -0400
well gang it was a great weekend weather wise and festivities wise!
we took 2 saab 93's down to town and ran the recreation laps of the old
course.  randy cook had his sonett at the track with ed diehl co-driving .
lots of saab stuff!  i had an interesting spin on saturday in some oil in
turn 1!  interesting = WOW!  could not see the oil untill i was just about
to get into it!    but that was too late!  so i held on and got it
straightened out to find the car hestisting badly!  very badly in fact!
turns out my positive lead from the battery had broken and was making and
breaking contact at the kill switch!  well a tow back to our humble pit area
and a trip to the local auto parts store fixed that and i was running well
by the afternoon.   the new nokian tyres are handling just fine and i have
no complaints about their performance.  they have a very predictable slide
and i can drift the car in corners without any ill effects.   by sunday's
afternoon race i was getting rather brave and paid the ultimate price for my
driver's error!  this spin was my fault !  i entered the bus stop too fast
and unsettledthe car where i had been previously doing a controlled slide!
well chris gross got to see the other end of my car *sorry*.  but i did get
it straightened out and went on to finish the race.
many spectators stopped by all weekend long sharing saab stories!  it's
amazing the amount of attention the old saab's attract!   we had a great
time i had some great fun holding off a norton powered cooper formula 3
early in the weekend.  i also had some great fun chasing a white MGA too!
i had my windshield broken by debris from a passing car on saturday
afternoon by a red spitfire passing me in the uphill esse's.  that was a bit
upsetting but all things considered....the weekend turned out to be a great
time on course and off course as evidenced by the old and new friends who we
saw at the track.
and, those of you who commented on how large my driver's suit
looked....thank you very much!
now i'm about 2 hours away from leaving for sacremento Ca. to deliver that
pesty '57 ford grand national stock car to it's owner.  (out of 1 tow
vehicle and into another!  )
be well all
chuck
orange saab#25(SVRA #251)
BTW!  i have never been passed by so many mini's in my life!  were those
things breeding(must have been the air up there :) ) up at watkins glen
...or what!  lol!  great turn out, mini owners!
next outing will be the SVRA blue gray challenge at summit point west
virginia.
see y'all there!