Re: Emissions Testing 1972 Midget in IL

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Emissions Testing 1972 Midget in IL
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 21:44:44 -0700
One thing that's been recommended to me before is to have fresh oil and oil
filter. Also, make sure the engune is good and warmed up when they test it.
Make sure your timing is correct as specified on the sticker (they check
that paranmeter). Looser valve lash is better and you want to make sure
you're not too rich (don't forget to make sure the choke is all the way
off). That's a good way to fail if you overlook it. Make sure you have new
air cleaners or ones that are in good shape (there's an air cleaner on the
air pump too.. Electronic ignition may help. Make sure that all your
emission stuff is hooked up and working properly. It's not unusual for the
air injectors to be carboned up and plugged, so you might want to check
your air rail and head ports for blockage. Check belts for slippage. In
California, they check the car at idle (between designated RPM) and at
medium revs (about 2500 RPM), so I don't think a high idle will help you.

Again, in California, If you're unsure, a pre-test can be done before you
make it official. Here, once you're hooked uo to the computer, the results
go directly to HQ in Sacramento and you don't get a second chance. Then you
have to take the car to a special referee station and yes, things get
expensive.

Good luck!

Gerard

At 9:31 PM -0500 9/12/02, David Lieb wrote:
>Well, I just got my emissions testing notice for my 1972 RWA Midget. First
>time I have had to take an LBC through. I suppose the smart thing to do
>would be to get the antique plates for it, but at this juncture I would like
>some input as to what all to do to pass in Illinois.
>I assume the usual fresh ignition parts, cap, rotor, wires, plugs and check
>timing etc.
>I imagine, however, that there are some additional things that could be done
>on a temporary basis to enhance the results as well.
>Didn't someone say something recently about running up the idle speed? After
>all, it is not the total amount of emissions but the percentage... stupid.
>What about valve clearances? Open them up a bit? Standard cam as far as I
>know.
>Should the ignition timing be run at the factory setting? more advance? less
>advance?
>Should I thow in a particular set of plugs? hotter? colder?
>Maybe I should graft in a catalytic and really confuse them :-)
>Should I lean out the carbs to the point of running bad?
>Is the Gunson analyser any good? Should I try to locate one?
>Any help would be appreciated!!!
>David Lieb
>unfond of the emissions Gestapo
>"Eventually the EPA is gonna kill you" overheard at LBC Car show

Search for Low Airfares, Great Hotel Deals,
Car Rental Discounts and Vacations and Cruises
http://partner.onetravel.com/go/go.cfm?GoID=32421

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com