Re: Nory's no start

To: nory@buffnet.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nory's no start
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:57:15 EDT
In a message dated 9/13/02 12:47:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nory@buffnet.net writes:

> I have a problem requiring the assistance of the experts here.....  One of
> the Midgets won't start (well, actually, none of them will start right now,
> but let's take one at a time).  The starter tests out fine; the battery is
> fine; the solenoid clicks; but the starter won't turn.  Is my problem the
> solenoid?  How do I test it?

- - - - - - - - - -

You are with "buffnet.net?"  Is that an ISP for naturists?  :-)

Anyway, USUALLY, when you get solenoid clicks but no starter turning, it is
because there is enough battery juice to click the solenoid but not turn the
much higher amerage starter.

You checked the first thing, and said the battery checks OK.  IF the battery
is good, check ALL the connections, starting at the battery.  Remove, clean
and tighten both battery terminals.  Remove, clean and tighten the other end
of the ground cable, where it bolts to the body.  Check and tighten the
connectors on the solenoid and the starter.  Lastly, check the ground strap
that connects the engine block to the frame of the car.  This often goes
loose and can cause poor starting.

The electrical juice has to be able to run all the way from the battery, back
to the battery.  (BTW, don't let any electrical juice leak out on the floor.
If it mixes with the smoke in the wires, you will have lotsa problems.  ;-)

Then try it again, and see what happens.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"