Re: bugeye steering rack cont

To: JHa2297255@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bugeye steering rack cont
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 00:12:41 -0700
Jack,
     I put the rack in a vise and then fold a shop rag a couple of times, put
the
rag over the ball housing and turn it off with a pipe wrench.  There are
probably
special tools that BMC or BL used for this, but I don't own them.  Just make
sure
you bend back the locking washer first.  Also, be careful you take just the ball
joint housing off instead of unscrewing the entire assembly from the rack
housing.  It will be difficult to separate then.  You may have to go to the
hardware or automotive supply store and buy metal sheets of varying thicknesses
and cut your own washer shims.  Someone on the list may have some lying around
also.  Good luck.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite