RE: Lily's Mini

To: "Dean Swanson" <dswanson1@nc.rr.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lily's Mini
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:18:13 -0500
The Mini's FI is factory, single point injection. I think FI's benefit is
generally going to be better driveability across the rev range. For out and
out top end I imagine a carb that's set up for high RPM would beat it. On
the down side on this car is that a previous owner has fit a big-bore
exhaust that I think probably hurts low-end torque, which is what I want on
a street car. It truly gets up and goes at 4000+ RPM, but it also rather
buzzy at 3500-4500 RPM. That's an unfortunate spot for the resonance to be
nasty since I tend to keep it there. It does fire up on the first stab of
the starter button and gets 30-35 MPG. The fact that it's something I don't
think about is a benefit; it's a non-issue. It runs.

It's kind of hard to compare performance to a carb, since there are so many
variables. The car itself is heavier than my '61 Midget was with a dual-SU
1275. This car also has the "stage1" kit (bigger throttle body, big-valve
head, header and sump guard.)Plus, the closed-car driving experience is
different enough that a lot of my impression is going to be subjective. The
Midget is off the road right now so side-by-side test is impossible.

To be honest, I'd have to live with it for a little while before I had a
considered opinion. Of course FI is obviously "the modern thing to do."

Phil