Re: Ignition light on

To: "David Cull" <davidcull@hotmail.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition light on
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 08:12:19 -0400
the possibilities abound!  but my guess would be a generator brush wore down
or broke off and shorted the generator.   if this indeed happened there is
some hope of getting it fixed but i think you had better resolve yourself to
the idea that a replacement unit is in order.  WHY?  because if it shorted
out it might have burned a wire in either field or armature windings wich
would make it unrepairable by you at home.
now, i could be wrong but by all means do an exploratory disassembly first!
but a failed bearing is not going to short out the charging system, it would
sieze the generator and possibly fry or throw the drive belt.   only a
seriously shot bearing would allow the armature to contact the field coils.
and there is a chance once again that the armature or fields or both are
damaged.   so i'd look to see if it would accept new brushes and see if the
comutator is still in good shape if it indeed shorted out.   you might luck
out but my past experience has shown that: very hot plus burning electrical
smell are a good beginning of the end for the generator.

chuck.
hey!  i'm not a mechanic but i did sleep at a holiday inn express last
night....lol!