Re: San Diego British Car Show

To: Jim Rogers <jarplanner@cox.net>
Subject: Re: San Diego British Car Show
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 17:53:47 -0700
Cc: "midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com" <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, "bugeye@yahoogroups.com" <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
by some 1/2 inch heater hose and fold it in half with copious amounts of
silicone
fluid to pop it on with the head in situ.  Well, I had already ordered a
replacement original type accordion hose from M***.  It arrived today and popped
right on with little trouble.  While I had the radiator out, I found the fan
belt
(cogged) loose and tightened it.  I refilled the rad with 25% antifreeze, Water
Wetter and distilled water.  It would not start!  A direct jumper cable from the
negative terminal of the battery to the starter got nothing!  I removed the
battery and took it down to AutoZone (group 24) where I bought it less than a
year ago to be tested.  It checked out fine.  All the way home I was dreading
yanking out the starter.  Then I remembered what advice I had given others when
the starter won't spin, clean the battery terminals.  I had not thought of it at
first because I had charged the battery to full over the last few nights with a
SureCharge float charger and the green LED on the charger was blinking which
meant a full charge. Apparently enough charge got through the bad connection to
charge the battery, but the inside of the helmet head battery connector was
black.  I cleaned both the post and the helmet head connectors with a battery
cleaning brush and she fired right up.  Again my heart sank, it ran like sh*t.
Oh yeah, I had removed the number four spark plug wire to get at the connector
on
the bottom of the starter switch to try bypassing it earlier and had not put the
plug wire back on.  It runs fine, for now.  Unless the transmission falls out or
the engine blows up, I'll be there.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite