Old tranny problem

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Old tranny problem
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 07:08:26 -0700
Listers--
A while back I was whining about my gearbox slipping out of 3rd and 4th on
deceleration and how disconcerting this was going into turns as I played at
vintage racing this past summer.  My appreciation to all who gave me
suggestions and encouraged me to pull the side cover and "doctor" the detent
springs before I spent a lot of money on the gearbox.  Well, last week I was
out for about 150 miles of spirited "color touring" with a couple of other
guys on some nice back roads.  The tranny has fixed itself!

Now, I'm always suspicious of things mechanical getting better for no
reason.  Could it be that the springs (or balls) were some how "stuck" after
sitting for a year inactive?  And that they "freed up" after two weekends of
abuse on the race track this season?  Why would it take so long?  Does the
disappearance of the symptom confirm that it was likely the detent balls?
Some people said it was the beginning signs of bad synchros and I had a
rebuild in my future.  But, I can literally powershift this box and not
"beat" the synchros.  And try as I might, I could not get it to slip out of
gear like it did last June.

Edifying discussion invited!

--JohnD