RE: Saudi oil

To: "Spridgets" <Spridgets@autox.team.net> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id gA7MiB6D004818
Subject: RE: Saudi oil
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 16:41:29 -0600
Not to keep this thread going....but....

I read an article a while back about this (I think
it was Wired magazine) about hydrogen powered
cars.  BMW has a 7 series already using it and
apparently performance is excellent.

The major problems with it are:
1) No hydrogen pumps.  Just like any alternate
        fuel sources (OK, maybe not Electric),
        people will need a place to fuel up.
        Although development can happen, somebody
        is going to have to dump a TON of money
        into building the pumps to make it worth
        building the cars, but if they don't build
        the cars, nobody will build the pumps.....etc.

2) People still remember the Hindenburg.  And right
        or not, they think it was because of the Hydrogen.
        Nobody is going to want to drive the Hindenburg.....

3) Hydrogen is hard (read expensive) to convert for
        use as a fuel.  The article had the whole process
        and as I recall, will be difficult to mass produce
        cheaply.

The article (which was more about GM) is here:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.08/fuelcellcars.html

I'd love to see it happen, however, as long as they
still sell gas for the Sprite....

-Rob