:-( gue3ss whayt happens when the oil pressure drops ont he highway! :-

To: Midget/Sprite <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: :-( gue3ss whayt happens when the oil pressure drops ont he highway! :-(
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 18:36:04 -0800 (PST)
...looking for a good oil drain-plug!

I was driving the '63 midget over to John Carey's to show
to John and Drew, when halfway the oil pressure dropped to
~25 than stayed there. I thought, hmmm ok, I need to get a
new oil pump....a minute later it went to zero, bakc up to
fifteen zero, fifteen....five....by teh time I got to teh
side of the highway, it already started making a funny
sound!  ;-0 I looked under to see a missing oil drain plug!
 Aaaarg! I had checked the plug on the engine when I
installed it a few weeks ago, but somehow it still loosened
up and fell out! (This has never happened before to me!) So
now I have the 1098 with the 1275 head sitting in the
garage with low compression, but good oil pressure, and a
1098 int he beastie with good compression and who knows
what sort of damage it caused. minimum need new bearings,
possibly fried the crank and cam?  ;-0

And it was running so nice....I was really enjoying driving
it.....

This is why I got used to safety-wiring important things
like we do on the aircraft engines. I didn't bother on this
as it's suposed to only be in for a few months until I
build up the other engine......guess I should have done it
after all.

Paul
(but Hey, when UI finally made it over to Drew's in the
Discovery, as least I got to finally pick up the bugeye
front end!)  ;-)