RE: Diesel cars- non LBC

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Diesel cars- non LBC
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 16:09:41 -0800
Pau A wrote:
"Perhaps a better choice for long commutes is a diesel.  It's not a big
chore to
maintain them and to set them up for hot or cold weather starting and
running.
Some of the small turbo ones perform as well as gas buggy's.

The european type quiet small diesels have not made it to this side of the
pond
yet.  Too bad."

Too bad indeed... for three years in the late 80s I commuted from my English
home near Peterborough to work in King's Lynn- a 82 miles round trip on a
major highway. I had a Peugeot 205 with a 1900cc normally aspirated diesel
engine. Slow on acceleration (nearly 14 seconds from 0 to 60mph), that car
could cruise all day near its maximum speed of 90+ and was comfortable to
boot! Can't remember what my miles per gallon figure was, but it was very
good. The diesel was in no way as much fun as the 205 GTI I owned before it,
but much more economical to run! I am sure the more modern diesels are
better.

Jacques Le Clainche