Re: Advance Masters

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <DLancer7676@cs.com>
Subject: Re: Advance Masters
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:58:38 -0600
Okey, dokey...
Advance, like most part chains, buy from whoever they align themselves with
at the moment. Their private labeled stuff could be from anyone. There was
a remanufacturer of master cylinders who rather than use original
(dimension) components in rebuilding, would oversize the bore .010" and use
oversized parts (rubber only) thereby enabling them to "recover" a greater
percentage of cores (used parts). They are no longer in business. One of
their major customers was Beck/Arnley-World Parts who distribute only
imported car parts in the US. They carried a broad range of the rebuilt
masters, not just for LBCs. They also sell some of their product line to
NAPA and other large parts companies. If the master cylinder you sent for
rebuilding had been oversized at some point, it is not rebuildable except
by using the difficult to find components, or by sleeving to original bore
size.
         Interestingly, there was a glut of these master cylinders as they
were "dumped" by some of the vendors who were "stuck" with them, and some
redistributing happened so that they could end up in consumers' hands at a
very attractive price. Also, as parts makers and distributors continue to
consolidate into fewer and fewer companies, various "off-brand" merchandise
is becoming relabled with some of the more trusted and familiar product names.
         There's a very long story that I haven't time to go into, but not
all is as it seems, these days. You'd be surprised, as I am almost daily,
and it's my job.
         Peter C
=====