RE: smog test - longish

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: smog test - longish
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 02:22:27 -0800 (PST)
No test for car 73 and older... for now.

Passing the California smog test is always a trying
time for me. I live in an "enhanced" area requiring
the cars to pass the test while on a dyno. Last week I
spent the week preparing my 76 MGB (with Stromberg).
One night I dutifully changed the oil, the next night
I tracked down some new NKG's, the next I adjusted the
valves and the next I rebuilt the Stromberg
carb,ajusted the timing and checked everything with
the Colortune. I anxiously awoke the morning of the
test had a quick bite to eat and then proceeded to
take the car for a good 50 mile drive on the freeway
before hitting the smog test station. About 2 blocks
before the test station I noted a brief chirp of the
fan belt, that's odd!  I looked down at the tach to
notice the engine dropped off about 500rpm only to
quickly recover. Hmmm?? By the time I got to the smog
station it was obvious that something under the bonnet
was not right! When I popped the bonnet the air pump
was in the process of spewing its guts all over the
engine compartment. Bad omen #1! Like any good
California MG owner I keep several spare air pumps in
the junk box and quickly installed a replacement.
When I returned to the smog station I was informed
that  the state of California considers the MG a "high
emitter" and would have to have the car checked at a
"Test Only " station. Oh sh*t, omen #2. After finding
my local test only station I turn my car over to the
technician only to be greeted with a sarcastic "good
luck". (sh*t,sh*t,sh*t!). Well needless to say I was
sufficiently stressed at this point. Well 10 minutes
later my car was returned to me with a quizzacle "You
passed". The numbers in all catagories were as good or
better than the state average. Had a pretty good high
for the rest of the day! Fooled'em for 2 more years,
life is good!

Larry Pitts
60Bug
76 B