Undercoating removal

To: Spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Undercoating removal
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 15:59:59 -0600
Friday afternoon and my mind is wandering.

If I wanted to remove the old undercoating on my '59 Sprite, what would
I use and in what procedure?  I'm guessing a solvent of some sort will
start the process, but how does one go about finishing the job when
there's no dip tank close at hand.  I don't mind what's been applied to
the under belly, but I'd like to clean up the wheel wells, engine bay,
and steering rack.  By the way, I'm guessing the undercoating is at
least 15 to 20 years old, but still in good shape.  It's black with a
bumpy surface, and still somewhat pliable when probed with a
screwdriver.  Looks like old tar.

Tim C.