Re: Good Greif - Bandwidth (REALLY no LBC)

To: "Bruce Lowry" <mycroft@flash.net>, "Chris King" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject: Re: Good Greif - Bandwidth (REALLY no LBC)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:28:40 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[B2133C50:01C2A2C4] 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gBDGTLTl007733
Not that I'm an expert, but from what I understand, everything on the
Internet being sent across is data that takes up available bandwidth.
Bandwidth is just space on the lines.  Some lines are bigger than
others...and some are smaller.  Like fire hoses and garden hoses.
Now...a LOT of water can go through a fire hose, but it's not
limitless.  They can only take so many gallons per minute.  The same
is true for bandwidth on the Internet.  Everything runs through
similar "hoses" and the more stuff that is out there to go
through...the more possibility there is for delay.  Like if you were
draining a pool with a garden hose....it would take FOREVER.  Whereas
if you used a fire hose, it would go quicker...but it would still take
a little time...and all the water waiting is like data waiting to go
across the data lines.  So...when someone says someone else is putting
out senseless "crap" and taking up bandwidth...it's like pouring a
glass of water in that pool you are trying to drain.  Does it really
make a difference?  In all honesty...probably not...not at least that
one glass.  But when you have several thousand glasses...

At least that's my understanding of it.

:)
-Mike Thompson
'71 Spridget  "Natas" (spell it backwards...you'll understand)