Pressure bleeder(long)

To: <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pressure bleeder(long)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 13:29:18 -0700
Back on my old Mercedes list we used to give a weekly award for the most
bone-headed act committed by a list member.
This bonehead thought that it would be a good idea to adapt my E-Z Bleed
pressure bleeder over from it's Mercedes master cylinder cap to a Midget
cap.
So I drilled a hole in a Midget cap and threaded it onto the NPT fitting on
the EZ Bleed. Squeezed some silicone around the fitting and upon noticing
the tiny air bleed hole in the cap squeezed some silicone in there.
24 hours later I set out to bleed the brakes. I put some LMA in the EZ bleed
screwed on the cap pumped 'er up to 10 LBS and slid under the back wheel to
bleed the brake. While I'm fumbling with the bleed tube and getting the
wrench onto the fitting I am vaguely aware of a hissing sound.
"Hmm?" says I and I slide from under the car into a misty geyser of brake
fluid. The brake fluid was atomized through the formally plugged cap vent
hole at 10 PSI. After an hour of cleaning brake fluid off of every surface
within ten feet. I plugged the offending hole with a screw and successfully
completed the task of bleeding the brakes albeit at a more conservative 6
PSI.

--
Jay Shaffer
shaf@zenten.com