RE: Carb choice for 1275 07:00:44 -0500

To: ckotting@wideopenwest.com
Subject: RE: Carb choice for 1275 07:00:44 -0500
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:03:17 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
With all due respect my friend..
Nah!! :):):)

No "wild" cam with gobs of duration and
lift, with huge intake valves and
large bore LCB through a 2" system here,
Chris. This is just a real nice state of
"upgraded" tune for the street. Perfect
for the street "drive it like you stole it"
crowd. Good low end (he's running over
9.1 with +.020 and stock 8.8-1 pistons,
assuming "unshaved" head) with a nice
increase in mid-range for a really "fun"
street daily driver.

You just gotta read Passini's two books
on "Theory" and "Practice", Chris. He
explains the mechanics of the "off-idle"
foot to the floor "bog" on acceleration
perfectly. If Jacques has reasonably sized
intake valves and a decent med. bore LCB
to keep exhaust velocities up and the flow going at the low end, he
should not experience this part of the
phenomena with Megadyne 276 timing,
1.4 intake valves and 1.5 rockers at all. I would be very surprised it
he did, really. For "reponse" nothing beats a
Weber (without modification, anyway!!:)
though I am sure the Dellorto would match it, most likely.

And the 50F9 idle jet in a 45 should cover "progression" with Jacque's
set-up very
nicely. If anything, he may find it a little
rich with good compression and little leak-down. With F2 tubes, 3.5 aux.
venturies, 34-36 chokes, 150-155 mains,
175 air correctors and 34-36 chokes, the
guy should be home free with the Weber,
inclusive of the acceleraor pump settings,
most especially so with a Hallmeter or
K&N air/fuel ratio set-up installed. This
would allow for some fine "tuning" of the
engine's fuel requirement superimposed
on whatever ignition advance curve is
being run, with ease. "Dyno in a car" so
to speak!

But even one of these he shouldn't need,
though they are nice to have. Icing on the
cake so to speak! It's not a race motor
looking for every lit bit of horsepower, after all.

You hear a lot of things bad about the
Weber DCOE's in this respect, but usually you find out the guy just
didn't do his home work. And so, he would have no
way to thoroughly educated himself on  the many factors that bear upon
finding the correct settings for his application which differed from
stock.

Unless you are yourself well versed in
the field, you've got to read and attempt
to understand "what's going on here"
before you get started.

One caveat here....we know the stock
settings. If we didn't, it would be a whole
different game, indeed!! :)

Cap'n. Bob (Ret'd)
      '60 Frog