pinion Dowel.../grease vs 90wt

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: pinion Dowel.../grease vs 90wt
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 09:10:56 -0800
I have removed and disassembled my steering rack('73 midget) and one little
problem has shown up...the small 'dowel' pin was either not there or I lost
it when I took it all apart...this pin seems to lock several pieces together
so they rotate in unison around the pinion shaft...

What is the pupose of this dowel?

Is it essential?

 Where can I get one?   I can't find it listed at Moss or V.B.

ALSO...My shop manual says GREASE should be packed into the pinion housing
and around ball joints......

            but the list members have been talking about 90wt oil????